What is the format to write a report?
Generally short formal reports begin as:
Is the format to write a report in O-Level examination similar?
The answer is the same, no specific format is followed.
Suggested Format on Report writing for O-Level Students
1. However, O Level teachers need to know that in CIE, Paper1- Directed Writing, formats are not important.
1a. The examiner is only concerned with how well the candidate structures his/her report.
1b .Was he/her able to maintain an appropriate register(Register means the use of accurate words and vocabulary required for a formal report).
1c .Has the student answered all the rubric points.
2. The best expected way to begin a report in O-level English paper is to write ‘Sir and put the date adjacent to it. Just begin your report. ( no specific way to write the date as well. Write is 11th November 2012 or Nov,11 2012…whatever you desire.)
3. The first paragraph should tell what the report is about. If you are reporting about an event then in the first paragraph you should also inform the reader when and where the event took place.
4. The second paragraph should tell how the entire event took place and some eye catching relevant incidents worth mentioning must be added.
5. The last paragraph should add some suggestions and concluding remarks from your side. But keep in mind that it should be entirely objective. Sometimes in the question the examiner asks the candidate to provide some suggestions, in that case you are free to add subjective remarks.
6. End by writing ‘ signature’ and your name.
7. Keep your language simple and use passive voice to give an impersonal tone to your report. For example, ‘ it was observed’ instead of stating “I saw” or ‘I observed’
8. The use of ‘I’ pronoun is permitted unless the event is witnessed by you. On the contrary, ‘I’ pronoun is not generally used in reports as it adds a personal shade to your reporting. Thus, the candidate needs to be careful in its use and choose appropriate words to maintain an impersonal tone.
9. Do not exceed the word limit i.e 200-300 words
9. Also view my post on Newspaper Reports to see the difference in writing accounts, reports and newspaper reports.
10. Do not confuse it with letter writing. (Pakistani students often tend to do that as they have been taught letter writing since their early classes).